Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve the stew as a side dish or with a salad and toasted pita bread as a vegetarian main course.
- 3 cups red lentils
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 chili pepper, minced (wear gloves for protection)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon oil
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute chili pepper, onion, garlic, celery and carrots for 3-5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Season with additional spices if desired.
- Serve and Enjoy!
This stew has a very nice flavor, and is so good for you with all those veggies and lentils! Thought the oregano and tomato would give it an Italian taste but it has it's own flavor, just like any other stew you would make. I like that you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand, though for my first try at this I used exactly the veggies listed. I halved the recipe and still had plenty... this makes a BIG potful. I'd love to make this again with lots more vegetables.
Made this exactly as directed--fast, easy and cheap stew! And it sure does make a lot! I thought I needed some extra taste at the end so I threw in some lemon juice and ground cumin. We will be eating it all week and really getting our fiber. It is good and very filling. Thanks for a good recipe!
Wonderful. I used a habanero as the chile, and added a leek, zucchini, and some italian parsley. Then put in some fake chik'n strips to give it some extra oomph. As suggested, I put it over salad and toasted pita chips and it was amazing!!!