Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light 2003.
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup small dried red lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 5 (6 inch) pita bread, each cut into 8 wedges
- Combine broth and lentils in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, mustard seeds, and red pepper, and cook 5 minutes or until onions are tender and seeds begin to pop, stirring constantly.
- Add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and black pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato paste, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add lentils, coconut milk, and salt; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in juice.
- Cool to room temperature. Serve dal with pita wedges.
Awesome. Hubby said it was addicting. Used 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder in lieu of the seeds and omitted the coriander. Had leftovers heated and served over brown rice. Seems to get spicier after a few days in the fridge!
This was excellent. I made some substitutions with what I had on hand: veggie broth for chicken, 1/2 cup red lentils and 1/2 cup brown, and black mustard seeds for the yellow. Mildly spicy with a nice hint of coconut. This is a winner. Will definitely make again. Thanks.
Total comfort food... I made this to go along with some leftover recipe#78738 The flavors were great. Next time I think I'll try it with some soft flatbreads. Thanks!