Recipe by windhorse23
This is a copycat recipe. The original is available at Wegman's. I got the basics from the 3 Fat Chicks website and modified it a little bit. Very spicy. Use your food processor to do the vegetable dicing.
Top Review by riario
Not spicy enough for us but it was still very good. I used chicken and veggie stocks instead of the water for added flavor and no celery as we were out. Sour cream was a good addition :)
- 1 cup red lentil
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced small
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, cored and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced green pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring lentil and 2 cups water to boil on high heat. Turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid. Place in food processor and puree. (Or use stick blender and partially puree in the pot.).
- Melt butter in 3 quart pot. Add onions and sweat without browning about 2 minute Add celery and garlic. Sweat 5 minutes more. Add tomato and cook 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, 2 cups water and seasonings. Bring to simmer.
- Add reserved whole and pureed lentils plus liquid, and cook about 15 minutes, till lentils are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry. Bring chili to boil, add slurry and stir a minute to thicken slightly.
- Turn off heat and add green peppers.