Grace Lynn's Note:
This simple and delicious recipe is from Meriel MacDonald of Kinloch Lodge on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. I changed this recipe a little by adding some clam juice because I like it saucier!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large red bell peppers (I used jarred roasted red bell peppers)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 shallots, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (I doubled that)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 lbs halibut or 2 lbs cod fish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used cod)
- 1 cup clam juice (I added this because I thought it was a little dry) (optional)
- 1Char bell peppers over flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- 2Enclose peppers in paper bag 10 minutes.
- 3Peel, seed, and chop peppers.
- 4Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add shallots and saute until very soft, about 6 minutes.
- 6Stir in peppers, tomatoes with juice, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- 7Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- 8I added the clam juice at this point and brought it back to a simmer.
- 9Stir in cilantro and lemon peel.
- 10Add fish; simmer until just opaque in center, about 5 minutes.
- 11Season stew to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Spoon into bowls and serve.
- 13I served it over steamed rice.
- 14I love this sauce and I think I'll substitute shrimp next time for fish.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Red Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 386.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 34.4 g