Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'William-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day'
Make and share this Spicy Red Bean and Chorizo Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 551.25 ml dried red kidney beans, picked over and rinsed
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 946.36 ml beef broth or 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46-3.69 ml red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 453.59 g cured spanish-style chorizo sausage, cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
- hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- cooked white rice, for serving
- Place the beans in a large bowl with cold water to cover and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight; drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper and saute until softened and just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in 1 cup of the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a slow cooker and stir in the drained beans, remaining 3 cups broth, the vinegar, pepper flakes to taste, bay leaves, and chorizo.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6-8 hours, stirring once or twice.
- The beans should be very tender.
- Discard the bay leaves; season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- If desired, using the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans against the inside of the cooker to thicken the stew.
- Spoon rice into shallow bowls, top with the stew and serve.