8 hrs 45 mins
In 'William-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups dried red kidney beans, picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb cured spanish-style chorizo sausage, cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
- hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- cooked white rice, for serving
- 1Place the beans in a large bowl with cold water to cover and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight; drain and rinse the beans.
- 2In a large, heavy frying pan, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- 3Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper and saute until softened and just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- 5Pour in 1 cup of the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- 6Transfer the contents of the pan to a slow cooker and stir in the drained beans, remaining 3 cups broth, the vinegar, pepper flakes to taste, bay leaves, and chorizo.
- 7Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6-8 hours, stirring once or twice.
- 8The beans should be very tender.
- 9Discard the bay leaves; season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- 10If desired, using the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans against the inside of the cooker to thicken the stew.
- 11Spoon rice into shallow bowls, top with the stew and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Red Bean and Chorizo Stew
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.5
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.9 mg
- Sodium 1168.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 27.7 g