Recipe by Goldcrest
I don't know whether to classify it as a pickle or salad because it is made like pickle and is hot and spicy but is raw and fresh like a salad. It is good eat with natural yoghurt because that helps cool it down a bit
- 3 small raw mangoes (they must be very raw or else it will taste awful)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (depending upon how hot you want it)
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each mango in half, remove the white seed from each half and discard and finely chop the rest of the mango and place in a salad bowl.
- Heat the oil on medium heat till very hot (test the heat by dropping a couple of mustard seeds and if they pop immediately, then it's hot enough) and drop the mustard seeds into it and wait for the to pop, then immediately remove from the heat before they burn.
- Pour the oil and mustard seeds onto the mango pieces, add the other seasoning, mix well together and serve with hot rice and/ or yoghurt.