Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a modified version of another ratatouille recipe that I found on Recipezaar. Ratatouille It incorporates a home-made pickled chilli sauce made by my partner's dad, but any chilli sauce will do. The dish should have a noticeable bite to it, but the chilli shouldn't be overpowering.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 10 mushrooms
- 1⁄2 red capsicum
- 1⁄2 green capsicum
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 410 g canned tomatoes, diced
- Chop up the vegetables into, (bite-sized or slightly larger), pieces. The onion will add a nicer texture if you chop it into rings rather than dicing it.
- Heat up a large frying pan and add your olive oil, the chopped onion and the chopped garlic. Cook until slightly browned, but not cooked through.
- Add the carrots to the frying pan.
- Leave to simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes. You can add about half a glass of water to keep the vegetables from sticking and to steam them a bit.
- Add the capsicums, mushrooms and zucchini to the pan, as well as the tin of diced tomatoes and chilli sauce.
- Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until all your vegetables are cooked. The sauce should reduce slightly. You can add some fresh tomatoes for added flavour here. They will cook quickly in the pot and shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve as a side dish with some plain steamed chicken or beef, or just by itself.
super recipe! easy to follow, and the taste is top notch. I used Watto's chilli sauce, and made exactly as written. times are also spot on, but watch for the last 10 mins, mine nearly burnt!! (my fault) This would make a great vegetarian pasta sauce!! thanks for a great recipe!