5 hrs 30 mins
This is a version of moussaka that uses a Middle Eastern spiced ragu as its base. It's nice with crusty bread and butter. NB: I simmered my ragu for about three hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggplants
- 300 g diced lamb
- 1 (680 ml) jar passata
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you like it very spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 100 g butter
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (any sort, I use cheddar)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 220degrees Celsius.
- 2Slice the eggplants in 2cm thick slices.
- 3Coat each slice using the 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- 4Lay the slices on a tray and add salt and pepper.
- 5Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until brown.
- 6Remove from oven and set aside. Turn oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 7Meanwhile, chop the onions and garlic finely.
- 8Peel and slice the carrots into discs.
- 9Heat some olive oil in a heavy based pan.
- 10Fry the onions and garlic til translucent.
- 11Add the lamb and brown.
- 12Add the cinnamon, cardamom powder, coriander powder, cayenne pepper and paprika and coat the lamb pieces.
- 13Add the jar of passata and the red wine and bring to boil.
- 14Add the carrots.
- 15Add the bayleaf and parsley.
- 16Simmer on a very low heat for several hours until the lamb is very tender and falls apart in the stew. Keep checking regularly, stirring, and adding water if necessary. (The end result has to be a thick stew).
- 17To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- 18Add the flour and stirfry for a minute or two.
- 19Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk.
- 20Add all the cheese and return to heat.
- 21Slowly heat until thickened.
- 22Add the egg, cook for a further few minutes.
- 23Add the nutmeg and some salt and pepper to taste and then remove from heat.
- 24To assemble the dish, pour the ragu into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- 25Add the slices of eggplant as the next layer.
- 26Pour white sauce over the eggplant.
- 27Sprinkle breadcrumbs over white sauce.
- 28Add knobs of butter on breadcrumbs if you like.
- 29Bake for about 40 minutes.
- 30Let stand for 15 minutes then serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Ragu Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 930.4
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 204.1 mg
- Sodium 1290.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 38.6 g