Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A zesty and colorful salad that makes great use of cranberries. Nice addition to a holiday buffet as it can be prepped in advance, is zesty and unusual and the flavors compliment most every cuisine.
- In a bowl, rinse quinoa several times with cold water.
- In a large pot, bring the 2 cups of water to a boil, add the quinoa and simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine half of the honey, lemongrass, garlic and peppers in a small bowl.
- Prepare the cranberries by whizzing them in a food processor with the remaining honey and lime juice until the cranberries are mere flecks and the mixture is a beautifully vibrant red.
- When quinoa has cooked, stir in the lemongrass mixture and the cranberry mixture until combined.
- Finally, add the mint, cilantro and red onion to the quinoa and mix thoroughly.
- Set the quinoa salad in a covered bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill before serving.
Wow!!! All I can say is WOW!!! This was so delicious. I made it with the red quinoa. It turned out kind of a purple color. It would have been prettier if I had used the regular quinoa instead. It still tasted great. Since somebody had told me that you should roast quinoa before cooking it I did.
I loved everything about this, the taste, the colour, the nutrition...it looked terrific on a holiday buffet, and the leftovers were perhaps even better the next day.
This was very good! I loved the strong lemongrass flavor (I may even add more next time), and the color of this salad is really beautiful. The recipe definitely benefits from a long chilling time; it allows the flavors to develop very nicely. Thanks for sharing this unusual recipe!