Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From my Thanksgiving recipe file (which I'm trying to post here). I haven't made it yet. You can omit the food processor/blender step by adding green chilies directly to the soup. Finely chop the cilantro and combine it with the sour cream and then dollop with mixture as directed.
- 113.39 g can green chilies, diced, drained
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 425.24 g can solid pack pumpkin
- 396.89 g can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 118.29 ml water
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (optional)
- salt, to taste
- Combine green chilies, sour cream and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (See description note for alternative to processing.).
- Combine pumpkin, chicken broth, water, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper if desired, in a medium saucepan; stir in 1/4 cup of the green chili mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into 4 serving bowls and top each with a dollop of the the remaining green chili mixture and additional sour cream, if desired. Check seasoning to see if it needs adjustment or salt.
- Run tip of spoon through dollops to make swirl.
This is exactly the recipe I was searching for! Thank you so much. This is a great, tasty soup and can be made with winter squashes as well. I have made it with both hubbard and acorn squash and have used frozen rather than fresh also.
This soup was fabulous! I had never tried a pumpkin soup before but this recipe was appealing because we are lovers of spicey food. I read the notes in the description and ended up adapting the recipe a little bit. I did use a processor for the cilantro and sour cream and I increased both to 1/2 cup so I could add the 1/4 cup to the soup and still have a 1/4 cup to garnish with. I added the green chile directly to the soup in step two and I used fresh roasted and peeled Anaheim Green Chili. Since we are lovers of Spicey...I did add the ground red pepper and also added 1 teaspoon of Hot Sauce. This was simple and quick to make, had wonderful flavor and it's healthy. My husband was getting seconds before I was half way finished! Thanks for a great recipe, I will definitly be making this again!
This was such a simple recipe using ingredients we love but it just didn't work for us. The sour cream mixture curdled, the texture was kind of gritty and the cumin was really pronounced. It was a fun recipe to try, but just not our thing. Thanks for posting.