Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From my Thanksgiving recipe file (which I'm trying to post here). I haven't made it yet. You can omit the food processor/blender step by adding green chilies directly to the soup. Finely chop the cilantro and combine it with the sour cream and then dollop with mixture as directed.
- 113.39 g can green chilies, diced, drained
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 425.24 g can solid pack pumpkin
- 396.89 g can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 118.29 ml water
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (optional)
- salt, to taste
- Combine green chilies, sour cream and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (See description note for alternative to processing.).
- Combine pumpkin, chicken broth, water, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper if desired, in a medium saucepan; stir in 1/4 cup of the green chili mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into 4 serving bowls and top each with a dollop of the the remaining green chili mixture and additional sour cream, if desired. Check seasoning to see if it needs adjustment or salt.
- Run tip of spoon through dollops to make swirl.
This is exactly the recipe I was searching for! Thank you so much. This is a great, tasty soup and can be made with winter squashes as well. I have made it with both hubbard and acorn squash and have used frozen rather than fresh also.
This soup was fabulous! I had never tried a pumpkin soup before but this recipe was appealing because we are lovers of spicey food. I read the notes in the description and ended up adapting the recipe a little bit. I did use a processor for the cilantro and sour cream and I increased both to 1/2 cup so I could add the 1/4 cup to the soup and still have a 1/4 cup to garnish with. I added the green chile directly to the soup in step two and I used fresh roasted and peeled Anaheim Green Chili. Since we are lovers of Spicey...I did add the ground red pepper and also added 1 teaspoon of Hot Sauce. This was simple and quick to make, had wonderful flavor and it's healthy. My husband was getting seconds before I was half way finished! Thanks for a great recipe, I will definitly be making this again!
heat!! heat!! heat!! Used pureed frozen pumpkin, veg broth and jalapenos instead of canned chilis