1 hr 15 mins
Tea Girl's Note:
This is a recipe from a German cookbook that my husband made, it is supposed to be Asian-style. We made some changes to it to fit our tastes more. It is a lot of work, but it is really wonderful, warm and filling. It is important to chop everything before you start. For the pumpkin seeds at the end, I would suggest making your own with Mirj's recipe with salt and cayenne pepper: http://www.recipezaar.com/Roasted-Pumpkin-Seeds-13549 Prep time includes the chopping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 kg fresh pumpkin (chopped away from the skin, and cut into small pieces)
- 450 g floury potatoes (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger (peeled and very finely chopped)
- 1 -2 thai bird's eye chile, 2 makes it very hot, use only 1 if you want something more mild (de-seeded and very finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 100 g creme fraiche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat and add onions and garlic until onion is clarified.
- 2Add pumpkin, potatoes, ginger, and chilis, stir and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add coriander and turmeric and stir and cook about 30 seconds.
- 4Add vegetable broth, a couple dashes of salt and pepper and bring to a boil and cook on high heat for 15 minutes.
- 5Remove about 100 ml (a bit more than a 1/3 of a cup) of the veggies and set aside.
- 6Remove the remaining soup from the heat and puree it with a hand blender.
- 7Add creme fraiche, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Return the non-pureed veggies, stir and serve topped with the roasted pumpkin seeds and green onions.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 66.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: