Recipe by Spicy Little Sister
I made up this recipe recently because we've had a bumper crop of tiny pumpkins. They make a perfect meal for one all by themselves
- 2 (2 lb) pumpkin
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 -3 spicy vegetarian sausages or 2 -3 spicy pork sausages, sliced into discs
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground roasted habanero pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Heat the olive oil with the onions, chili powder and garlic in a large cast iron skillet, when they get fragrant, add the sausage discs. Toss together. After a few minutes, add the rice and stir fry for a three minutes. Turn off the heat and mix in the flax seeds and salt. Put aside.
- Lobotomize the pumpkins: cut the tops off (if you cut in a zig-zag, it's easier to put it back on later), scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff inside. If you want to roast the seeds (totally advisable), rinse them off and set aside. Pack the stuffing inside the pumpkins, replace tops. Put the pumpkins on a baking sheet in the preheated oven, and cover with tinfoil or an additional baking sheet inverted. Pop in the oven, check after 20 minutes, check after an additional 10-20 minutes. Pumpkins are done when they are slightly soft, and slightly brown. Serve with the lids on, and let eaters open them.