Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've made this recipe very spicy and flavourful to my tastes. Tinker around with adjustments to the spices to your liking, though I recommend leaving equal if not more ginger than cinnamon and then lessening cloves and allspice to your taste (reduce allspice before you reduce cloves for a better balance). Also, you can lighly spray cooking oil into the cake pan before you add the caramel (perhaps more on the sides than the bottom, because caramel will make it slippery on bottom). This will help you as you are trying to separate flan from pan with a spatula when cooked.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Sprinkle1/2 cup sugar in bottom of small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Caramelize by stirring often until sugar melts and is golden (approx. 8 minutes).
- Pour immediately into round 9” cake pan, tipping quickly to coat bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Beat at low speed with mixer until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pumpkin. Beat at low speed until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Place in large shallow pan. Add hot water to larger pan to a 1” depth.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked (insert knife and it comes out clean).
- Remove cake pan and let cool. When cool enough, cover and chill 3 hours.
- Loosen edges with a spatula.
- Place a serving plate on top of cake pan; quickly invert flan onto plate. Drizzle any remaining sauce over flan.