Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A really moist, yummy pumpkin bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and spices (flour through cloves) in a large bowl.
- Add sugar and the next 6 ingredients (sugar through pumpkin) in a different bowl, and stir well with a whisk or mixer until smooth.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 2 (8 × 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool loaves in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
- Cool loaves completely; cut each loaf into 12 slices.
- You may also cook in small loaf pans or muffin tins, reduce cooking time to 30-35 min.
- Check for doneness.
- NOTES: If you're tempted to fiddle with the spices (maybe substitute pumpkin-pie spice for the allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves), please don't.
- I tried it both ways and it wasn't as good.
I made this the other night, gave one loaf to a neighbour and the other loaf was devoured within 30 minutes!!!!!! It didn't quite rise as much in the pan as I had hoped but it sure tasted yummy!
I have been trying so many different pumpkin bread recipes to try and find one that is at least close to one my husband and I found at "The Omelet House" in Las Vegas. Their pumpkin bread is served like a piece of spice cake with butter on top. It is the most delicious I have EVER had! This one comes REALLY close! I also liked the fact that it only had 2/3 cup sugar as opposed to most of the others that called for 3 CUPS!!! EEEK! I didn't have any whole wheat flour so I used all all-purpose flour. I also used a can of sweet potato puree in place of the pumpkin. I used non-fat milk also. I baked it on convection bake for 35 minutes in a 9X9 silicone pan. It came out perfect!! I lightly glazed it with an orange glaze. Next time I will put chopped pecans and raisins in it. I didn't this time because my kids don't really like them, but now that I know how YUMMY it is! Who cares! In they go!! Thanks so much Emily for this incredible recipe!!
Wow! I served this at our Cafe at church and it was the tops! Thanks so much for a lower sugar, but really tasty recipe! Actually, I doubled the recipe and it made a bundt pan and 2 large loaves. They took 1 hour in the oven.