Pumpkin soup is a favorite around here! We use it for a lot of our dishes, besides having it sauteed with onions and garlic, we also use it with black beans, & kidney beans, just to name a few. This recipe as is, could not be made for the home, so we alter it a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Melt the butter or margarine in a large stockpot.
- 2Add onions, celery, and garlic and sauté until onions are clear.
- 3Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves. nutmeg, and cayenne pepper(if using).
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- 6Strain and reserve the liquid.
- 7In a food processor or blender, pureé the vegetables with some of the liquid.
- 8Strain through a sieve.
- 9In the stockpot, combine the remaining liquid, pureed vegetables and pumpkin.
- 10Heat through while stirring, about 10 minutes.
- 11Add cream.
- 12Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 13Heat through while stirring about 5 minutes.
- 14Garnish with parsley and Kitten's Garlic Croutons (Kittencal's Garlic Croutons).
- 15Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pumpkin Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.9
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 128.0 mg
- Sodium 137.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth