Recipe by Manami
Pumpkin soup is a favorite around here! We use it for a lot of our dishes, besides having it sauteed with onions and garlic, we also use it with black beans, & kidney beans, just to name a few. This recipe as is, could not be made for the home, so we alter it a bit.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large stockpot.
- Add onions, celery, and garlic and sauté until onions are clear.
- Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves. nutmeg, and cayenne pepper(if using).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Strain and reserve the liquid.
- In a food processor or blender, pureé the vegetables with some of the liquid.
- Strain through a sieve.
- In the stockpot, combine the remaining liquid, pureed vegetables and pumpkin.
- Heat through while stirring, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat through while stirring about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and Kitten's Garlic Croutons (Recipe #125034).
- Serve and enjoy!