Recipe by Andrea-Oz
Ultimate healthy variation on the classic pumpkin soup. Very forgiving recipe. Freezes well.
- 1 kg pumpkin (diced finely, this is about 1/2 small Jarrah and 1/2 butternut)
- 2 onions (coarsely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped or minced)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (equiv 1 t ground)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- cooking spray, for spices
- 2 teaspoons butter, for spices
- 1 cup red lentil (optional)
- cream (optional) or sour cream (optional) or yoghurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up meat of pumpkin – the smaller the quicker it will cook.
- Chop up onion and garlic.
- In a large soup pot, put pumpkin, onion, garlic, red lentils (if adding), broth – simmer 5 minutes.
- Add white wine – simmer a few more minutes.
- Spray a small frypan and put in a little butter. Add ginger and coriander. medium-low heat. Add some water to make a paste. stir for a minute or so, until the aromas are all released.
- Add spice paste to soup.
- Stir and cover soup. bring to boil. lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes – or until pumpkin soft.
- Remove from heat and puree.
- Add a few twists of ground black pepper.
- Add ground red chilli pepper.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir through.
- Optional: Could also stir through a little sour cream or yoghurt when serving.