Prep 8 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From "The Pioneer Woman Cooks".
- 5 -7 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- lime wedge
- 8 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Rinse pork roast.
- In food processor, combine onion, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar; pulse until totally combined.
- Pour mixture over pork and rub into every part of the meat -- most important part!
- Place pork into roasting pan or Dutch oven and add 2 cups water.
- Cover tightly and roast 6-7 hrs, turning 1 time every hours.
- Check to make sure it's fork tender, increase heat to 425 F and roast uncovered for 20 min, or until skin starts to get crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow roast to rest 15 minute.
- Shred meat, using 2 forks to pull it apart.
- Place meat on large platter and pour pan juices over shredded meat (ensures tender deliciousness!).
- Serve with tortillas and lime wedges.