Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Puffed rice is well known as 'Murmura / Mumra / Mamra' in India. This is used as a main ingredient to make many Indian snack items like Bhel Puri, Murmura Ladoo, Chikkis, Spicy Puffed Rice etc. This is an easy recipe that is guilt free. Variations: Peanuts, sesame seeds, cashews, roasted edamame, pretzels, rice crackers, wasabi peas, coconut, raisins, almonds, pecans etc etc
- 6 cups rice, puffed and toasted
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped 1-inch long and slender (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, ground
- 1 birdseye chili
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- hand full curry leaf (run without if you don't have them)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- lime wedge (optional)
- Make sure the puffed rice is crispy. If not dry roast them in a pan at 200F till they become crisp -- about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Then add onions (if using) red chilies, cumin seeds, asafoetida, groundnuts, curry leaves and turmeric. Fry for sometime till you hear the cracking sound of the groundnuts.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt and mix well.
- Switch off the heat and mix the puffed rice into the above mixture.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Once cooled, transfer to an air tight container and store it for up to 2-3 weeks.
- Just before eating squeeze lime juice on top. (Optional).
- Variations: Peanuts, sesame seeds, cashews, roasted edamame, pretzels, rice crackers, wasabi peas, coconut, raisins, almonds, pecans etc etc).
- Time is without toasting as that can be done while doing the rest.