Prep 5 mins
Cook 27 mins
Adjust the amount of jalapeno to suit your taste, or use a mild or hot salsa instead of medium; I would not like these any spicier than they already are. I make these in a pressure skillet, a shallow version of a pressure cooker. The beans are soupy, but you can cook them a little longer in the open pan to reduce the liquid if you prefer thicker "juice". I use Herdez salsa casera for this.
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, rinsed and picked over
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chunky salsa, medium heat
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Throw it all in the pressure cooker and cook 27 minutes.
- Let it cool down on its own before opening, the salt and acid in the salsa make the beans a little firm and the carryover cooking is beneficial.
- Boil, uncovered, for a few minutes to reduce the sauce.