Another recipe from my long-lost, but newly found treasure trove of recipes. There was a note w/this 1 that the recipe originated at the www.johnsonville.com site. I know why I saved this. DH views potatoes as a required part of every main meal, but I get bored w/repeat versions so am always on the lookout for new potato taste treats. Enjoy! .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included in Germany-Benelux for ZWT6 due to its use of Gouda cheese as a primary ingredient & is supported by Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouda_(cheese) :-)
- 1 lb sml red potatoes (washed well)
- 6 slices smoked bacon (thick-cut)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 medium onion (yellow, white or red, peeled & sliced thin)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 ounces smoked gouda cheese (may use regular Gouda as needed)
- Boil potatoes in salted water til soft (about 25 min). Drain, cool slightly, quarter & set aside.
- Place a lrg non-stick sauté pan over med heat & cook bacon to barely crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, crumble slightly & set aside.
- Place butter in the sauté pan over med-high heat & sauté the onions w/salt, pepper, cumin seeds & chili powder (stirring occ) till onions are soft & aromatic.
- Add the quartered potatoes, combine & allow mixture to brown slightly.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon & cheese over the mixture, turn heat to very low & cover for 5 min allowing cheese to melt. Serve immediately.
Really good Twissis -- I quite like potatoes but DH LOVES them, he was thrilled with this simple but tasty dish, and snaffled all the leftovers for his lunch!!!!<br/><br/>Thank you, very good, made for Consideration tag game
Wow...did we ever love these potatoes!! This is such an easy dish to prepare, but has lots of wonderful flavor. We loved the combination of the spices, bacon, and smoked gouda cheese. To add a little extra flavor, I used some of the bacon grease, instead of the butter, to cook the onions and spices and to brown the potatoes. I made this in a 12" cast iron skillet which gave the potatoes a nice, brown finish. I crumbled the bacon over the potatoes and sprinkled the cheese on top as directed. I popped the pan under the broiler until the cheese was melted...yum!! Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
**Made for Football Pool 2012**
WOW these certainly pack a flavour that has you yearning for more. I did do a little bit of make ahead and I also peeled my potatoes (Carisma lo gi for dietary reasons but the peeling was because the DM would not eat if I hadn't peeled) and I also made a little bit ahead and had the potatoes and everything ready to go and just allowed a little bit of extra time for the potatoes to brown and heat through which made for a super easy meal. Thank you twissis, made for Adopt A Tag 2012.