Another recipe from my long-lost, but newly found treasure trove of recipes. There was a note w/this 1 that the recipe originated at the www.johnsonville.com site. I know why I saved this. DH views potatoes as a required part of every main meal, but I get bored w/repeat versions so am always on the lookout for new potato taste treats. Enjoy! .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included in Germany-Benelux for ZWT6 due to its use of Gouda cheese as a primary ingredient & is supported by Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouda_(cheese) :-)
- 1 lb sml red potatoes (washed well)
- 6 slices smoked bacon (thick-cut)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 medium onion (yellow, white or red, peeled & sliced thin)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 ounces smoked gouda cheese (may use regular Gouda as needed)
- Boil potatoes in salted water til soft (about 25 min). Drain, cool slightly, quarter & set aside.
- Place a lrg non-stick sauté pan over med heat & cook bacon to barely crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, crumble slightly & set aside.
- Place butter in the sauté pan over med-high heat & sauté the onions w/salt, pepper, cumin seeds & chili powder (stirring occ) till onions are soft & aromatic.
- Add the quartered potatoes, combine & allow mixture to brown slightly.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon & cheese over the mixture, turn heat to very low & cover for 5 min allowing cheese to melt. Serve immediately.