Recipe by English_Rose
A substantial winter soup by Gary Rhodes that packs a bit of a punch. Recipe from Gary Rhodes Time to Eat.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, more if you like
- 2 large baking potatoes, cut into roughly 1/2in cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 teaspoons mango chutney (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm the oil and butter together in a saucepan and add the chopped onion.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for a few mins before adding the curry powder.
- Add the potato and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes
- Pour the milk and water over the potatoes, then sprinkle in the vegetable stock cube.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 mins until the potatoes are completely tender.
- Season with a pinch of salt and blitz in a blender until smooth.
- For a slightly sweet touch, add the mango chutney, a teaspoon at a time to suit your taste, liquidizing until smooth.
- Divide the soup into bowls, finishing with the cilantro leaves if you have them.