Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A hot and spicy one dish meal. My daughter's favourite.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick, a thin 1/2inch piece sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the rice and strain.
- In a pan melt butter. Add one by one the following: cumin seeds cardamom cloves and cinnamon.
- Next add 1/2 of the sliced onions and saut0233 for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2cups of water and one teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- When it starts to boil reduce to low heat cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime in another pan, heat the oil and add the rest of the onions and fry.
- When the onions are soft add the tomatoes and yoghurt.
- Fry till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add potatoes and all the spice powders one by one.
- Add enough salt and fry the potatoes till lightly brown.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
- When the rice is done fluff it lightly and allow to cool.
- Let the potatoes cool too.
- When cool, mix the potatoes and rice nicely coating the rice grains with the spices from the potatoes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.