1/1 Photo of Spicy Pot Roast with Black Beans and Bock Beer
3 hrs 10 mins
This is not your typical pot roast. It's a spicy (can be adjusted to your liking) and hearty dish. My husband loves it, but he doesn't know it's pretty low in fat and calories. It's very easy, but takes some time - start it about 3 - 4 hours before serving. We often keep it warm in the crockpot and serve it at tailgate parties with hot tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup barbecue seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans original Rotel Tomatoes (tomatoes and green chiles)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle of shiner bock beer (or any local bock beer)
- 1Note- you can use plain diced tomatoes or the milder Rotel tomatoes if you prefer less spice.
- 2Boil black beans with 2 cups water in a 1 qrt saucepan over medium high heat 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour.
- 4Meanwhile chop all the vegetables.
- 5Combine flour and BBQ seasoning on a plate.
- 6Cut roast into sections; trim away any fat.
- 7Turn roast pieces in the flour mixture to coat all sides.
- 8Heat oil in a 5 qrt pot or Dutch oven over medium heat 3 minutes.
- 9Sear beef 3 minutes per side to brown.
- 10Remove from pot and set aside.
- 11Add onion, and garlic to pot; saute 3 minutes.
- 12Add cans of tomatoes and the beer; scrape pot to loosen and stir in any browned bits from bottom.
- 13Bring to a boil.
- 14Drain beans and stir into pot.
- 15Add beef and bell pepper.
- 16Cover pot and reduce heat to medium low.
- 17Cook 1 hour, then stir.
- 18Cook 1 more hour, or until meat is fork-tender.
- 19Stir occasionally, especially during last half hour of cooking.
- 20Add 1/2- 1 cup water if cooking liquid reduces too low in order to prevent beans from sticking and not cooking properly.
- 21Break meat apart into chunks and shreds with a fork or spoon.
- 22Serve over rice or on flour tortillas.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pot Roast with Black Beans and Bock Beer
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 371.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 24.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: