Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces salsa, medium-hot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Brown pork and onion over medium-high heat in large saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except tortilla strips.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir tortilla strips into soup and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more, until tortilla strips are softened.
- Serve hot.
We enjoyed the flavors in this soup. This is a fast soup to make and mild in the spicy department, at least to us. Very convenient to make, as I had everything needed from the ground pork right down to the corn tortillas! Now how often does that happen? No too many times in this household. The majority of the Daycare children liked this too. I may add the cumin and chili powder after I dish up their bowls next time. Dancer, thank you for another winning recipe.
I made your recipe when my fiance` was sick with a cold. Spicy food seems to work magic. Everyone in the house feel in love with your recipe. I enjoyed how simple it was to make as well how readily available the ingredents were in my pantry. Thanks for being a helpful 'healer'. I am going to try it with Chicken tonight.