1/2 Photos of Spicy Pork Chili With Cumin Polenta
3 hrs 40 mins
1 hr 40 mins
In 'Sunday Soup' by Betty Rosbottom
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (plus more if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced carrot (1/2-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons minced serrano peppers
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed of all excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more if needed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 thin lime wedges, for garnish
- 1Make the chili: heat 2 tablespoons oil in a big, heavy, deep-sided pot set over med-high heat.
- 2When hot, add onion and carrots; saute, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 3Add in serrano peppers; cook 1 minute.
- 4Remove pan from heat and spoon ingredients onto a plate; set aside; reserve pot.
- 5Put pork in a large ziplock plastic bag; add flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper; seal bag and shake well to coat pork with flour.
- 6Return pot to med-high heat and add 2-3 more tablespoons oil, or enough to coat the bottom of pan lightly.
- 7When hot enough, add enough floured pork cubes to fit comfortably in a single layer in pan (do not crowd); brown pork, turning, for 3-4 minutes.
- 8Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to paper towels to drain; repeat with remaining pork, adding more oil as needed.
- 9Return all browned pork to pan and add garlic.
- 10Cook and toss 1 minute.
- 11Return reserved onion, carrots, and peppers to pan.
- 12Add tomatoes, lime juice, and broth.
- 13Bring mixture to simmer, then decrease heat.
- 14Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes, then cover and cook until meat is quite tender, about 50-60 minutes.
- 15Taste chili and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- 16**Chili can be prepared 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and refrigerate; reheat over medium heat.
- 17To make polenta: combine 4 cups stock and the cumin in a large, heavy saucepan set over med-high heat.
- 18When stock begins to boil, decrease heat and gradually (in a thin stream) whisk in cornmeal.
- 19Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken, for 6-8 minutes or less.
- 20Stir in butter and milk; taste and add salt, as needed.
- 21**Polenta can be made up to 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and refrigerate; reheat over low heat, stirring constantly and adding additional stock, as needed, until polenta is desired texture.
- 22To serve--spoon a generous 1/2 cup polenta into 6 shallow soup bowls.
- 23Ladle pork chili over polenta and sprinkle each portion with some cilantro.
- 24Garnish with a lime wedge.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pork Chili With Cumin Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (833 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 854.3
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 154.8 mg
- Sodium 1172.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 57.7 g