Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Once again, I don't remember where I got this one from, but since I wrote it on an index card, I know it was good. For a time, when I found and tried something new, if I liked it, I copied it onto an index card, with the result that the source was permanently lost. I need to do it again, now that I have found it again!
- 6 pork loin chops
- 1 garlic clove, cut
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 granny smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Trim chops.
- Rub both sides with cut garlic, then sprinkle with pepper and salt to taste.
- Brown on both sides in skillet with melted butter.
- In a greased casserole, place a layer of apples and onions, using about half. Put chops on top, then cover the whole with remaining apples and onions.
- Stir flour into sediment in skillet and add 2 cups of boiling water, stirring constantly till thickened.
- Add the lemon juice, applesauce and spices.
- Make sure it is well mixed, then gently pour into casserole.
- Cover casserole dish with foil or lid, and cook for 1 hour, 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
This was delicious! We didn't find it to be bland as the last reviewer did; I thought it was very flavorful. My boyfriend usually doesn't say a lot about the food that I cook, but he complimented this one several times during dinner. Thanks for the great recipe!
It was just okay. I usually serve pork chops with applesauce so I thought I would really like this. I found it a bit too bland. I might make it again but I think I would caramelize the onions first. The sauce was really good over rice though. I used cornstarch instead of flour to make it gluten free.
Love apples with pork chops so this was a wonderful recipe for us! I used 6 boneless pork chops and sprinkled with garlic powder instead of rubbing with the garlic clove. The pork chops were very tender and the onions and apple spice flavors blended so well together! I served with mashed potatoes for a great comfort food meal! Thank you aussiekarin, will be making these pork chops again!