Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Great meal to come home to after being away all day.
Make and share this Spicy Pork and Cabbage (crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -6 pork chops (1 inch thick)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 dash Kitchen Bouquet
- 4 cups cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 3 -4 apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Season chops with salt and pepper and brush with Kitchen Bouquet.
- Set aside.
- Place cabbage, apples and onion in Crock Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except pork chops.
- Toss together well to evenly distribue spices.
- Arrange chops on top of cabbage mixture, stacking to fit.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
This took me back to my childhood. My neighbor's mom was a german immigrant and she made things like this all the time. The only thing I was missing out of the meal was the smashed red potatoes with butter to eat it with. Wonderful! The only thing I would change next time is I'd put a layer of the cabbage and apples over the pork as it was a little dry. I used 5 cloves and a couple of bay leaves too. Go big or go home - and it was completely balanced and lovely. This is totally a keeper.
This turned out good. I wasn't expecting it smell as intense as it did. I think my cabbage was young and intense ; ). This was something different and new for us to try and I'm glad we chose your recipe. Thanks for posting.
DH really enjoyed this, I did too. Lovely flavour and filled the house with a mouth watering arouma while cooking. I made half a recipe for the two of us, Didn't have any kitchen bouquet so subed with Italian Seasoning, cut the sugar in half (used splenda) and just 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mine just took 6 hours to cook, there was quite a lot of fluid; I ladaled the fluid into a pot and made brown rice with it and served the pork and cabbage over the brown rice. YUM!! I will make this again, thanks for posting.