Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a full flavor chili! Don't omit the brewed coffee, it adds flavor to the chili... serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese on the side. This is even better if made a day ahead, the flavors really intensify.
- 1 lb sliced bacon (can use a little less)
- 1 (4 lb) pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno chilie, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (heaping tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder (yes 1/3 cup, or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (can use more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels.
- Drain about half of the bacon fat and leave the rest in the pot.
- Season the cubed pork with salt and pepper.
- Add to the pot and brown on all sides; then transfer to a plate.
- Add in onion, garlic, oregano and jalapenos, and saute until the onions are soft, stirring often (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- Return the pork and bacon back to the pot along with any juices from the plate.
- Add in broth, coffee, water and tomatoes; mix to combine.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until pork is very tender (about 2 hours).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the beans towards the end of cooking.
- Serve with sour cream on the side.