1/1 Photo of Spicy Pork and Bacon Chili
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a full flavor chili! Don't omit the brewed coffee, it adds flavor to the chili... serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese on the side. This is even better if made a day ahead, the flavors really intensify.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sliced bacon (can use a little less)
- 1 (4 lb) pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno chilie, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (heaping tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 1/3 cup chili powder (yes 1/3 cup, or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (can use more)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels.
- 2Drain about half of the bacon fat and leave the rest in the pot.
- 3Season the cubed pork with salt and pepper.
- 4Add to the pot and brown on all sides; then transfer to a plate.
- 5Add in onion, garlic, oregano and jalapenos, and saute until the onions are soft, stirring often (about 3-4 minutes).
- 6Add in the chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- 7Return the pork and bacon back to the pot along with any juices from the plate.
- 8Add in broth, coffee, water and tomatoes; mix to combine.
- 9Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until pork is very tender (about 2 hours).
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Stir in the beans towards the end of cooking.
- 12Serve with sour cream on the side.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Pork and Bacon Chili
Serving Size: 1 (664 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1036.4
- Calories from Fat 619
- Total Fat 68.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 200.1 mg
- Sodium 1276.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 60.5 g