Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Use this cooked spicy sausage on your pizzas! You can cook it up and freeze it in batches to use later, too. Adapted from Cooking Light.
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 603.27 g ground lean pork
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 44.37 ml minced fresh parsley
- 44.37 ml minced fresh basil
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 14.79 ml crushed fennel seed
- 7.39 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese or 29.58 ml asiago cheese
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well.
- Over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet, brown the sausage, stirring to crumble into pieces of the desired size (I like big-ish chunks rather than "gravel"), about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Use on your pizza.
- Makes 5 cups (5 servings of 1 cup each, for a large pizza) of pizza sausage – you can put it into Ziplock bags and freeze them for later use, if you like.
Very good recipe. I only had 1 lb. of sausage so I cut the ingredients in half and skipped the fennel seed. Used it on pizza and tasted great!
GREAT. I could't get ground turkey or ground pork, but I tried it with lean ground beef. I also didn't have any fennel, but have since gotten some, so am looking forward to tryng it again. We eat a lot of pizza and this is completely addicting!!
This is excellent, very flavorful! I did not have any ground turkey so I used only lean ground pork and I had no fennel seeds either. For the wine I used a peppery Shiraz and the flavor is excellent! Thank you!