Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this from an amazing low-fat cookbook of mine and added the taco seasoning and additional veggies!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cups Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups low-sodium pinto beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- sour cream (to garnish)
- green onion (to garnish)
- coat a 4 quart pan with no stick spray. Add olive oil, onions & celery. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add carrots and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add pinto beans, broth, water and seasonings. Bring to boil and let simmer 20-25 minutes until veggies are soft. Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream and green onions.
This soup was too spicy for me. The directions were also unclear as they mentioned adding carrots (not listed in the ingredients) and did not mention adding the tomatoes (were listed in the ingredients). I think I'd try another recipe next time.