Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is really good--nice way to use left over pinto beans. Don't think anyone will guess your "secret" ingredient. Can be frosted with powdered sugar frosting, drizzled with browned butter frosting or just served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- 2 cups pinto beans, cooked, mashed, warmed
- 1⁄4 cup water, from cooked beans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, peeled, chopped, cored
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat pinto beans and bean liquid in bowl until smooth.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla and beans, mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to creamed mixture, beat well.
- Stir in apples, raisins, walnuts and remaining flour mixture, beat until just mixed.
- Pour into buttered 8" tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Invert on funnel to cool.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan.
- Turn onto cake platter.