Recipe by Aimchick
I could eat this stuff by the bucket load!! It’s spicy and sweet and is the perfect match for fish or chicken. This is a great summer recipe and its super easy. This recipe makes enough for 4 adults as a side dish. To make it super fruity, you could add pineapple chunks to the rice toward the end. For extra flavor, substitute chicken broth for the water.
Top Review by swissms
Yum! We really enjoyed this rice. The only changes I made were to omit the red pepper flakes (my husband is heat sensitive :-) ) then added about 2 cups of fresh pineapple and 1/2 cup (or more) cashews. Also added some salt and pepper to bring out the flavors a bit. We will definitely be making this again soon! Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, from a jar is fine
- 1 cup basmati rice or 1 cup jasmine rice or 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup drained pineapple chunk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, sauté shallot and garlic in the olive oil until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add curry powder.
- Pour in rice and stir constantly until rice is opaque and begins to brown.
- Pour in pineapple juice, water and coconut; bring to a boil.
- Add crushed red pepper and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 25 minutes or until rice is a desired doneness.
- Add pineapple chunks (optional).
- Fluff with fork.