Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This looked too interesting to pass up! It's not too pickly, with just a tablespoon of vinegar, but deliciously sweet and spicy. From a cookbook, "Nonya Favourites," which I picked up in Singapore. The book suggests serving this with rice and a coconut curry, or fried fish.
- 500 g fresh pineapple, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red chili pepper, sliced and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Cut pineapple into 1-cm-thick wedges.
- Heat oil in a wok, add ginger and chili, saute about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- The pickle is finished when the oil rises to the top and the pineapple is glossy. The pineapple should still be juicy.
I've prepared this with fresh pineapple. I increased the dark soya sauce to my taste to 1/2 tablespoon.
This was perfect with my asian chicken recipe and white asian rice.
Thanks for sharing. I'll do it again.
Done for "Bargain Basement Tag Game - December 2010"