Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was given to me some time ago...still don't know why it's called "picnic" chicken...I do know that it is very good.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken (preferably without skin)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, combine buttermilk and 1 tbsp of Taco seasoning mix; mix well In another bowl, combine remaining taco seasoning mix, bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk mixture; coat with bread crumb mixture.
- Place on broiler pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle chicken with melted butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until juices run clear.
This dish made a very nice dinner for my students last nite! I served it with recipe#127490 and recipe#130664. The reason it just got 4 stars is that the breading did not cling to the skinless chicken very well. I suggest dredging the chicken in the flour before dipping into the buttermilk. I also cut the salt to 1/2 tsp as the seasoning mix already contained salt. As usual, with hungry college guys, nothing was left over. Next time, I will put a piece away to try cold the next day! Yes, I agree with you, Kittencal...don't know why it is called "picnic" chicken. I think I would rename it "Chicken Ole", lol!