Recipe by Dib's
Posted for a Beet Lover!
Top Review by averybird
I love pickled beets. Don't usually make them with sliced onions but it was nice for a change of pace. NOTE: in my experience you will need twice the number of pints listed (8 not 4) to complete this recipe. Perhaps this was a typo in the book because I can not see any way of fitting the listed amount of beets into only four jars, no matter how tightly packed! Thank you.
- 4 lbs beets
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 cups white sugar
- 12 inches cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- *Beets should be no larger than 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wash and drain beets, makin sure to leave 2 inches of stems and the tap root.
- Put Beets in a large nonreactive saucepan.
- Cover with boiling water and cook until tender-about 12 minutes-ish.
- Drain well.
- Remove peel and trim ends.
- Comvine the remaining ingredients in another large nonreactive saucepot.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add beets and cook until they are heated through.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and pieces.
- Pack hot beets into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Ladle hot liquid over beet, again leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe rims and adjust two piece caps.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 30 minutes.