I made these for our local state fair and won a blue ribbon. These go great with Bloody Mary's. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 lb wax bean, trimmed
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Bring 2 quarts water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add beans; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and place in a large bowl filled with ice water.
- Combine red wine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until sugar disolves.
- Pour over beans; cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 24 hours OR place beans in pint jars; remove bay leaves; pour marinade into pint jars and seal. Process for 15 minute in a boiling water bath.
Made these from the plethora of green beans this past summer. Some of the beans were past their prime when picked (ie. tough)but pickleing them and keeping them in the refrigerator for a few weeks made them tender and just great for an appetizer. These pack a punch and can be addictive.
Fantastic. My hubby, who doesn't like beans, loved these at first bite. They are very hot and spicy, a real treat! Thank you for the recipe!