Recipe by Sharlene~W
Here is your solution if you are looking for a special salad for your dinner party. Be aware this serves 16--resize if you are serving a smaller group. You might also want to try adding pear slices, fresh raspberries or avocado slices.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 heads bibb lettuce, torn
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
For Spicy Pecans
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 lb pecan halves (about 4 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with cheese, green onions, and Spicy Pecans.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
- For Spicy Pecans: Stir together sugar, butter, orange juice, salt, cinnamon, red pepper and ground mace in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add nuts; toss to coat.
- Place pecan mixture in a single layer in an aluminum foil-lined 15 x 10-inch jelyroll pan.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack, separating pecans with a fork.
- Store in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.