Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Juniper berries are available in well-stocked spice sections of supermarkets.
- 2 lbs white pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons green peppercorns
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- Plunge onions into pot of boiling water for 1 minute; drain.
- Peel and trim; combine in large bowl with salt and cover with water.
- Let stand for 8 hours or overnight. Drain; rinse in cold water and drain well.
- In large heavy saucepan, bring to boil vinegar, sugar, juniper berries, cinnamon, cloves and peppercorns.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Strain out spices and discard.
- Bring vinegar mixture back to boil.
- Place tarragon sprig in each of three 2-cup (500 mL) sterilized canning jars.
- Pack jars with onions; pour in vinegar mixture, leaving 1/4-inch (5 mm) headspace. Seal jars; process in boiling w ater bath for 10 minutes.