Recipe by Enjolinfam
From Vegetarian Times. This African stew gets its distinctive taste from creamy peanut butter and chilie-laced chopped tomatoes. Sounds delish and I can't wait to try it!
Top Review by Chef Kirsten (#1!)
This was FANTASTIC. I love the flavors. I took the advice of SarSarK and blended the cucumber sauce...total paradise! I considered making this without the sauce because the stew on its own would be great, but the sauce adds a whole new dimension to it. I added a few dashes of cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes to the stew while it cooked and the spice level was perfect. Will be making this again, thank you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 lb butternut squash (about 3 cups) or 1 lb acorn squash, cut into 1 inch chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb cauliflower floret (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 head watercress, stems removed
Cool Cucumber Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, rated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cool Cucumber Sauce:.
- Toss together all Cool Cucumber Sauce ingredients in small bowl. Set aside to serve with Spicy Peanut Stew.
- Spicy Peanut Stew:.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add potato and tomatoes. Increase heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer partially covered, 10 minutes. Add squash and cauliflower, and cook 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk together peanut butter and 1/2 cup warm water in small bowl. Add to stew, and cook 4 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon over rice, and top with watercress.