Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I received this recipe from Carolina Rice. It's a nice and hearty soup. RICH! (African touch with the sweet potatoes and beans)!
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1892.72 ml chicken broth or 1892.72 ml vegetable broth
- 4.92 ml dried thyme leaves
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml rice
- 709.77 ml thick & chunky salsa
- 3 (1360.77 g) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 236.59 ml diced unpeeled zucchini
- 158.51 ml creamy peanut butter
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil to medium-high heat and saute the onions, sweet potato, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, cumin, and rice.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is cooked and vegetables are tender, 18-20 minutes.
- Add the salsa, beans and zucchini; cook until zucchini is tender about 10 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and stir until completely combined.
What a warming, rich, soup ! In my opinion, this is restaurant quality ! It is a keeper recipe and I will definatley make this again!!
This is more like a stew than a soup, but I loved it. My children enjoyed theirs, but hubby really didn't like it (but he dislikes peanut butter, so no surprises there). I cut back on the chickpeas and only added 3x300g cans instead of the 3x500g the recipes called for, and I think that was enough. It made a huge amount of soup, so I'm hoping it freezes and reheats well. Very tasty :) Made for ZWT7 - Africa
Great flavour. I added some salt and pepper because I felt it needed a bit, and I added only 16oz of chickpeas. I didn't want to have the soup TOO thick and heavy. Other than that I followed the recipe. It's a nice thick hearty soup, which I love to have for dinner. It was easy and will make it again.