Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This was on the back of a Pillsbury flour bag and was a winner of the 26th Bake-Off, 17 years ago! It's easy to put together and is really delicious!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) can peach slices, drained (or apricot halves, reserve syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup reserved peach syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously grease and flour a 9x5 or 8x4 inch loaf pan with solid shortening.
- In large bowl, blend all bread ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer, until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir pecans and raisins into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from pan and cool completely.
- Glaze: mix all glaze ingredients together, thinning with a little more milk to get the desired consistancy; drizzle over completely cooled peach bread.
- Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator.