Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are very tasty meat turnovers, very similar to Jamaican patties.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄3 cups shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cold water
Curried Beef Filling
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄16 teaspoon cayenne (pinch)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- For pastry, stir together dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening and butter.
- Pour in water and stir with a fork to make a dough.
- Wrap and chill 1 hour.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Set aside Brown beef and pour off all the fat.
- Stir in onion mixture and seasonings.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Add water.
- Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in bread crumbs to make a moist but not runny mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Let cool.
- Divide pastry in half and roll into 2 long sausage shaped.
- Slice each roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Seperate filling into 24 equal mounds.
- Roll each piece of pastry into a 6 inch circle.
- spoon each mound of beef onto centre.
- Wet edges of pastry with water and fold in half over filling.
- Seal edges and prick with a fork.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in 375*F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.