Recipe by Mom2Rose
This is my Dad's recipe - boy is it terrific! Careful with the red pepper flakes though - first time he made it - Wowzers!! It was a little too spicy! In my opinion this sauce tastes even better the second day!
Top Review by katew
5 plus stars! 1 added a large handful of fresh herbs from the garden and this was delicious. Sarah - it will interest you that I made this for a new BF for dinner - the first meal I have cooked him - he had 2 serves !!!!!!!
- 1 lb bacon, sliced thickly
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (optional)
- 1 lb pasta, your choice (cooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain (reserve 1 tablespoons in skillet).
- Set bacon aside to cool.
- Add olive oil and onions to skillet.
- Saute onions until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, salt, sugar and pepper flakes.
- Cook your choice of pasta in the meantime.
- Simmer 30 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Crumble bacon and add to sauce along with parsley if desired.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Toss cooked pasta with sauce and top with parmesan cheese if desired.