Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my Dad's recipe - boy is it terrific! Careful with the red pepper flakes though - first time he made it - Wowzers!! It was a little too spicy! In my opinion this sauce tastes even better the second day!
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain (reserve 1 tablespoons in skillet).
- Set bacon aside to cool.
- Add olive oil and onions to skillet.
- Saute onions until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, salt, sugar and pepper flakes.
- Cook your choice of pasta in the meantime.
- Simmer 30 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Crumble bacon and add to sauce along with parsley if desired.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Toss cooked pasta with sauce and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
5 plus stars! 1 added a large handful of fresh herbs from the garden and this was delicious. Sarah - it will interest you that I made this for a new BF for dinner - the first meal I have cooked him - he had 2 serves !!!!!!!
Great pasta dish -- full of ingredients we love. Made as written, but also added 120 grams (4 ounces) of baby spinach. Heat lovers could easily add 1/2 teaspoon or more of chilli flakes. I'll add more in future. Would be nice with olives added, too. Thanks for posting.
This was a simple dish which I could leave to DH to prepare whilst I worked late. The only change was to increase the sugar by a little, and only use 3 small cans of tomatoes as that was all we had (just didn't cook it down as much). We subbed basil for the parsley since we have lots in the garden. Our chilli flakes weren't hot enough, next time we'll use more. Thanks!