Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for a cold night!
Make and share this Spicy Pasta, Bean, and Sausage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces orecchiette (or other small pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated romano cheese
- Strain liquid from canned beans into blender.
- Add 1 cup beans and puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add sausages, rosemary, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Sauté until sausages are cooked through, breaking up with fork, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Add bean puree, remaining beans, broth, and pasta.
- Simmer until pasta is tender and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, passing remaining 1 1/4 cups cheese.
- Makes 4 to 6 (main-course) servings.
Well this was just perfect for a cold September night in Phoenix. We had a cold spell and the temperature dropped below 70°F!!! We loved the spicy sausage, fresh rosemary and Romano cheese flavor. The only change I made was to use use 1 can of garbanzo beans for the puree and 1 can of pinto beans in the soup (I don't like the texture of whole chickpeas). I used Cavatappi macaroni and an extra clove of garlic. If your soup tastes this good in Sept, I can't wait for winter!!!
Needed to whip together something for dinner and had all the ingredients for this. Substituted kidney beans for Garbanzo. It's really delicious. Didn't use all the cheese - just served it with parmesan on top. My kids loved it -- I think in part because it doesn't have tomatoes and they always try to pick out the tomatoes from my soups!
Majorly mmmmmmm-good soup and DH's new favorite. I agree with another reviewer that if you want a brothier soup, reduce the amount of pasta or cook it on the side and add to individual servings. Thanks for a most-satisfying dish.