Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great recipe for using all of those extra tomatoes from your garden. They are different than traditional fried tomatoes because of the spices used.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes or 1 1⁄2 lbs green tomatoes (about 4)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Mix flour, salt, cumin and pepper.
- Coat tomato slices with flour mixture.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add tomato slices and fry, turning once, until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.
EXCELLENT! We put a little salt and hot sauce on the tomatoes after they were fried for extra zing. This is a great way to be able to eat winter tomatoes, too, because it adds a lot of flavor. Thanks, Karen!