Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this when I want something different than a baked potato.
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Scrub potatoes and cut into 1" cubes.
- Place in a large saucepan, Add enough salted water to cover potatoes; bring to a boil.
- Cook potatoes, covered, until fork tender, about 7 minutes.
- Drain; return potatoes to pan.
- Place over low heat for about 30 seconds to steam off any excess water.
- In a large heavy oven proof skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add onion and green and red peppers.
- Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable to a large bowl.
- Cover; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes; toss gently to coat.
- In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add a single layer of potatoes.
- Cook, stirring, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add to bowl with the vegetables.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Return potatoes, onion and bell peppers to skillet; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4" from heat until cheese is melted.
Just Awesome Potatoes!! So much better than baked. Spicy but not overpowering. Definite keeper here, Thanks VirginiaGeek
Wonderful and spicy - just right to accompany our plain, grilled pork chops. These break up a little during frying and you have parts that are browned and crips, and others that are softer and mealier. Comfort food!