Recipe by Geema
This recipe was adapted from the Pike Place Market Seafood Cookbook. It's a simple, yet extremely flavorful way to present your favorite fish. We use tilapia and grouper with good success, but catfish works too.
Top Review by love4culinary
Geema, this fish is just pure heaven!! It just melts in your mouth, with all of these spectacular flavors filling your taste buds!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! The different spices..and the bread crumbs and almonds coating the fish...wow... just spectacular! You almost cant help but scarf it down ..it tastes so good...yet you want to savor every bite...so you dont run out!!! :-) hahaha.... I cut the recipe in half and used two large tilapia fillets. I should have known better than to use the larger fillets......and should have cut them in half before cooking, but I didnt lol.. they turned out beautifully :-) just a little difficult for me to get out of the pan..but that was just a mistake on my part. This fish is magnificent... my bf thought it was amazing as well.. he ate it so fast because it was so good..and wanted more! lol :-) thanks so much geema!!! The only change I had to make was substituting cayenne pepper for the red pepper flakes..because I ran out and forgot to buy more :-( I will be making this fish VERY VERY OFTEN!!! :-)YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY FISH HEAVEN!!!!!!!
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons white wine or 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 fillets of thin firm fleshed fish, such as catfish,tilapia,mahimahi,grouper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, panko for example
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a glass or ceramic baking dish, lay fish fillets next to each other in one layer.
- Stir together the yogurt, tomato paste, wine, garlic, gingerroot, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, tumeric, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the marinade over the fish, covering the tops and bottoms thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, turning fish occasionally On a flat plate, mix together almonds, crumbs, paprika, and salt.
- Remove fish from marinade, retaining as much marinade on each fillet as possible.
- Pat crumbs on both sides of each catfish fillet.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When oil is very hot, add fish fillets without crowding.
- Cook fish 5-7 minutes, turn carefully, and cook another 5 minutes or until fish is done, just flaking.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the type of fish used, and the thickness of the fillet.
- Serve immediately.